The COFA Annual 2013

Trucking Around
  • Rebirth

• Industrial Girls

• No Pig's Land

• Trucking Around

• Foundation Of Society

Chanel Roistacher
Bachelor of Design

Next Student
Previous Student

Trucking Around
In the interest of peace between the College of Fine Arts, University of New South Wales (COFA UNSW) and the residents of Paddington, I constructed a campaign to alleviate the distress revolving around the recent renovations performed on the COFA Paddington campus. The distress of the neighbours about the renovations sparked protests both online and within Paddington. A major part of the controvercy was the management of the trucks’ traffic within the suburb, blocking off roads and creating noise pollution. As such the residents of Paddington took a stance with the trademark line, “Truck off COFA.” In my pro-bono campaign I decided to create a strong integration between “Truck off COFA” and the idea of creating art for the people. A key feature, which influenced the campaign was Jeff Koons’ 1992 artwork, ‘Puppy;’ a towering puppy constructed prominently of flowering plants. Previously quoted as “communicat(ing) with the masses” it is a symbol of simple childlike happiness. Appropriating this idea I applied the flowering arrangement to trucks symbolically representing a peace offering from the UNSW community, for the Paddington residents in mind of the recent renovations. The campaign of billboards and posters would be displayed around the campus, creating a more attractive façade for both students and residents during the renovations.

Read my resume