The COFA Annual 2013

Coil Me A Collar
  • Coil Me A Collar

• Rug Up 2012

• I Heart You, Bitch!

• Paddington, The Way They Live

• The Cockatoo Identity

• Dandelion

• De Attach

Tobing Lanata
Bachelor of Design

Next Student
Previous Student

Coil Me A Collar
The world’s fashion and textile consumption pattern has reached an alarming rate where it consumes more than what the environment can replenish. However, the solution to this problem is not to change the way humans consume, instead the way we make garments and textiles should be altered. The “Cradle-to-Cradle” theory suggests eradicating waste altogether by either creating products that are biodegradable or detachable to feed the biological and technical cycles respectively. It is also the aim of the theory to create products that are safe for human use as well as their makers. “Weave me a Collar” explores the “Cradle-to-Cradle” theory in great depth, looking into the construction of a garment, altering the choice of materials and how they are processed to create a dress that is not only sustainable but serves as a vessel that protects the human body. Inspired by the Tasmanian Aboriginal basketry practice, the project aims not only to generate a dress that is environmentally friendly but also clearly illustrating the harmonious relationship between living things, creating an ecosystem that is in equilibrium.

Read my resume